Einz, drummer with Norwegian avant-garde band Virus, Lamented Souls, Beyond Dawn and retro-thrash outfit Inferno has compiled our latest playlist:
Normally I would have selected a few slightly more obscure tracks but I’ve been comatose all day from lack
of sleep, so I just went for the first ten I could think of.
- JOY DIVISION – She’s Lost Control (Atmosphere/She’s Lost Control 12″)
The 12″ version, infinitely better than the one on Unknown Pleasures, this song possibly has the greatest bass riff in history. The keyboards toward the end of this version – one word; HAUNTING.
- DARKTHRONE – Atomic Coming (The Cult Is Alive)
For me, Darkthrone made a great return to form with The Cult Is Alive. No better proof than this one, which sounds like a hybreed between Under A Funeral Moon and punk. UGH!
- SWANS – The Sound (Soundtracks For The Blind)
Swans are probably the greatest band that ever existed. I heard rumours of a reunion tour (oh.my.gawd)! This is from their swansong album, a must in every self-respecting music addict’s collection.
- AUTOPSY – Severed Survival (Severed Survival)
We covered this one in Beyond Dawn on our Frysh album, but you know what they say – you can’t beat the original (not that we even tried!)
- LEE HAZLEWOOD – José (Lee Hazlewoodism – Its Cause And Cure)
Lee Hazlewood had the greatest voice, the best lyrics and the coolest songs. The man was basically cool on two feet. Who else could pull off a song about a fucking matador – flamenco guitars, Morricone-ish choir et al.
- MOTÖRHEAD – Shine (Another Perfect Day)
From an underrated album, this shows a more melodic side of Motörhead, that still rocked like a fuckin’ mongoose in heat.
- ENTOMBED – Evilyn (Clandestine)
- BATHORY – Home Of Once Brave (Hammerheart)
You can’t have a podcast without Quorthon. You just can’t.
- LADYTRON – Versus (Velocifero)
If they get bored with doing their excellent icecold electropop they should consider doing a whole album in this style. Fuckin’ magic! Oh, and I’d gladly marry either one of Helen or Mira.
- SWANS – God Damn The Sun (The Burning World)
OK OK, I know. Two Swans songs in one podcast. That’s because this is probably the most beautiful song I know. And not in a cosy Frank Sinatra way. This is actually quite brutal if you listen to the lyrics. *reach for tissue*
Direct link to this Podcast.